My Must Haves-- & Some Awesome News!

Welcome back to my blog! & If you're new, I'm glad you have decided to be here in the new year! 


I did a poll on Instagram a few weeks ago about a New Year must haves blog post, and majority of people that took part in the poll said I should do one, so here it is! 

There are a lot of things that I love to use, whether it be with makeup, clothes, photography, school, music, etc. Some of these topics may be things you already know about or don't care to read, so I tried to make it easier for you to find your interests with some headers. Hopefully that helps, but in advance, this is a longer post than usual! 

A lot of what I found myself using these last few weeks were some things I got for Christmas, and I'm excited to share some awesome stuff with you in this blog post! 

makeup


For Christmas, my friend Emma got me a Colour Pop eyeshadow palette, and before this, I rarely ever used eyeshadow! I am literally OBSESSED with it! There are a variety of colors and I can wear them with almost anything, same goes for my Urban Decay Naked Basics palette that my mom got me. The colors are simple, soft, and light. 


I also use a pore filler from Maybelline's Babyskin line that I really enjoy. You can find it at almost any drug store, so it's not all that expensive, but I have found that it works well for me and leaves my skin feelings soft and refreshed. Along with that, I also use Maybelline's Dream BB Cream. I rarely ever use a true foundation on my skin because it feels so heavy to me and my skin is sensitive so I'm always really cautious. However, I sometimes use my MaryKay powder if my face feels too oily. Lastly from Maybelline, I use their Lash Sensational mascara, which comes in a somewhat metallic and purple tube. Similar to the others, you can find this at any drug store.

As far as other beauty products go, my blush varies but it's usually just a drug store brand, or I use a chubby cheek stick from Clinique. My favorite shade of blush was Apricot Kiss at one point, and I think it was from Maybelline, but I'm not certain. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find it recently, so if you know where I can find it, let me know in the comments! Finally, I ALWAYS carry chapstick or lip balm with me because these first few months of the year are rough. My lips are usually always chapped, so I like to have something to carry with me in case. I usually use some of the Burt's Bees stuff, but my favorite that I put on every morning is Smith's Strawberry Lip balm. I found this at Sephora in like 7th grade and have been using it ever since. The little metal tins that they come in actually last a very long time. It took me like a year and a half to finish just one of them. I highly recommend it, and if you aren't a huge fan of fruity stuff, they sell other "flavors." 



fashion


I shop at a variety of stores because my mood and style varies like every other day. My favorite, alongside nearly every girl, has to be Forever21. They have everything, and if you shop there, you know this. It's not all that expensive depending on what you're looking at, and the quality is pretty good. I also love TJMaxx because it's right in town and they too have anything and everything. Similar to Forever21, it isn't all that expensive. Though I don't go to Target much, it is another favorite of mine for many of the same reasons. 
Especially on days like today, fuzzy socks are a huge must have. I used to not be a fan of wearing socks unless I really had to, but now I love them, especially when I can find cute ones. I recently got a pack of long socks by LuckyBrand that I LOVE! 

Basic Tips for Shopping: These tips have saved me from wasting money on clothing items and accessories that I really don't need and/or want. Basically, when I shop, I try to make outfits with what I'm buying and/or think about what I have at home to wear with it. If you use a lot of accessories or jewelry, think about your selection. Usually, if I don't have a variety of stuff to wear with it, I won't buy it because I won't have as many options as I would like. You should also think about where you can wear it, ask yourself, "is this practical?" Also, TRY EVERYTHING ON. Even if you don't feel like it, you don't know if you'll like it on, if it will fit you the way it fits the hanger, etc. Another thing is that I find myself drawn to a lot of the same colors. Although that can be great, I don't want my whole closet to be just soft pinks and such. So, if I have something similar to it at home, I try to avoid buying it. Lastly and most importantly, if you do not love it, whether that be on you, the colors, the style, etc., it is not worth the money, because you will more than likely get home, put it in your closet, and never wear it.





photography


I got into photography maybe two years ago, and my passion for it is growing rapidly. It helps to have a natural eye for certain stuff, but a lot of it also falls on what you use. I use a CanonRebel, and they have a series of them to choose from, all of which are excellent and well worth the money. I also use a variety of editing apps, most people have a preference, and I really enjoy VSCO because there is a lot of variety, and I have also put a lot of time. money, and effort in to my account. → check it out!. AWESOME NEWS is that I recently started my own small photography business. It is currently just local, and has only been up and running for about two weeks. In that time, I've had a lot of success and I'm so thankful that it is working out for me. I do charge a fee for the photos, however, it is really small in comparison to local professionals, only because I am amateur. I want a business where the average teen can get some basic photos without dropping $150+, because I know that I wouldn't want to. If you are local to Hendersonville, or any other areas close by, feel free to contact me through email to try and book a photoshoot. If you decide to email me, please include your social media, preferably Instagram! 



school and student life


This school year has been so busy, I can't believe I am about to start my second semester! If you're like me, you wanna be with your friends, get money, have extra curricular activities, and need to maintain good grades. This is the first year where I actually used a planner, and used it beneficially. I found mine at TJMaxx. It's so cute, which is beside the point because what really matters is that it works. Mine is a decent size, big enough for me to easily plan out my week, sometimes my month. I can have a bulleted list, keep reminders... and the cutest part... it has a little "goal of the week" section. It's so cute and extra, but it has actually helped me accomplish some small things this school year. Also, getting enough sleep has always been a problem for me. This year, I found myself napping after school if I had the chance and it really helped. However, it can throw off your sleeping schedule if you aren't careful. Thirty minute power naps are a thing, and they are the best thing. Though they sound like they aren't much, they are just enough, but if necessary, throw in an extra 15 minutes. A small tip when it comes to school work: time yourself. Up until recently I thought it was stupid to actually set time frames for specific work, but it helps. My friend Isabella told me she did it, so now I usually give myself 30 minutes to work on something. If I don't finish it, I move on and give myself another thirty minutes on it later. Also, it's okay to take a break. I try to finish a few things and then get up for a few minutes and grab a snack and check my phone or something before working again. But the main goal is to get stuff done, whatever works for you is what you should stick with. I'm really bad with procrastinating, but I try to think about how rewarding it feels to just be done with stuff, and that usually helps me finish stuff. If you work with music playing like I do, hopefully it helps you the way it does me. I use Spotify and will sometimes choose one of their pre-made playlists to help me focus, but I have also made a few of my own. → here is my page

faith


Though not all of you may be religious, I feel as though this is important for many readers and myself. This past year, I found myself getting to know myself and God a lot more. I sometimes listen to podcasts when I have time, which is most constructive for me to use over the summer. It has really helped me to find bible verses and write them down and doodle pictures in my journal with them. I found myself praying a lot more, not just asking, but also thanking. This growing process has helped to better who I am, and who I will be, as a follower of Christ, a writer, a dancer, a student... as a human. I'm excited to see where God takes me this year. 



Thank you so much for coming to my page in the New Year! I hope my few tips and my must haves helped you out! I'm so excited for 2018, and I'm looking forward to sharing it with you! Once again, feel free to contact me about a photoshoot! & If you have any blog ideas, feel free to comment below or email me with suggestions! I'd love to hear your ideas, and what you think! Au revoir, Nichola Rae. ❤❤❤


4 comments :

  1. I’m glad my homework tip helped❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can find the Apricot Kiss blush at CVS. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you!! I had looked there a few months back because that's where I used to get it, and I couldn't find it. they may have just been out of it!

      Delete
    2. U r one very talented young woman i dont think ive ever read something so full so pasionate so beautiful like i never met a young woman ur age tht can write like this u deserve an applause.

      Delete

Copyright © Nichola Rae Writes | Blog Design by Get Polished